It’s Valentine’s Day, but what does it have to do with your online business? When you have a website, you can use these seasonal consumer spending to your advantage.
Here’s how you can use Valentine’s Day to improve your website positioning on Google, and how to keep your seasonal content updated year after year.
Valentine’s Day sales
Valentine’s Day generated over $ 18 billion in sales in 2018, and in 2019, consumers are expected to spend $ 19.6 billion. So who is shopping for this date? Men are the biggest spenders, spending double what women spend, with around 66% of them between 25 and 34.
While the most popular gifts range from candy, flowers, jewelry, and parties, there is also a trend of people buy “ anti ” gifts for Valentine’s Day. Clearly, on this special day, your online store can offer something for everyone.
If you make sales through your website, one of your main concerns shows up in search results when people search for products or services that you offer. Holidays and special dates like Valentine’s Day can help you improve your ranking in these results.
How can Valentine’s Day help your SEO?
When you create great content on your website specifically around a special date, such as Christmas, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, St. Patrick’s Day, etc., you improve your chances of searchers finding you. .
In the image above, you can see how there is a spike in searches for “Valentine’s Day gifts” in January and February of each year.
Before you begin, ask yourself if your products are given as gifts, and to whom? This is usually a no-brainer for most eCommerce stores and many websites selling services, but there are also some great businesses online such as specialty tools, business software, supplies, and machinery. who probably won’t have to invest their time in creating content for Valentine’s Day. Day.
Organizing a gift guide is a great option to help your SEO, as it presents a wide selection of your products to potential buyers in one space, and it can be easily shared on social media.
In order to take full advantage of the gift guide, follow these steps:
- Create a new page on your website or blog post. Ideally, you should start over more than a month before the special date.
- Name it with a relevant keyword the type of products you offer and your target audience, for example:
- “ Best Valentine’s Day Gifts for Bike Lovers / Outdoor Enthusiasts ” (if you sell bikes)
- ‘Best Valentine’s Day for Friends’
- ‘Valentine’s Day Gifts on a Budget’
- ‘Top 10 Valentine’s Day Gifts for Staff’
- ‘The Ultimate Guide to Valentine’s Day Gifts 2019’
- Complete the page or post a meta description depending on the upcoming holiday season. Don’t forget to include your chosen keywords: Valentine’s Day, Gifts and a keyword that makes your page more specific and relevant to the desired audience.
- It’s also helpful to include the year in parentheses, so visitors understand that this is new content. For example, “Best Valentine’s Day for Friends (2019)”.
- Fill out or post the page with your products – either the actual items to add directly to a cart, or a list of your products with a description and link to the item. Link to other pages on your site relevant to the seasonal buyer.
- Create an image for your page using a tool like Can go or Pabloand upload it to Pinterest. Special dates usually have people creating wishlists on this social platform, and with a good cover image, you can be on those wishlists.
- Optimize the page for speed and mobile – don’t fill it with moving images, autoplay videos, gifs or large images.
- Link to your new content from other pages on your site and share it on social media.
- Place a banner on your home page to promote your dedicated page. POWr and Hello Bar are good options.
- If you created your content with more than a month before the date, you can raise awareness on other sites in order to create external links for your page.
- Run your page through a quick SEO audit to make sure that nothing is preventing your site from being well positioned in the search engines.
Well-optimized gift guides
Take inspiration from the following gift guides that rank well on Google and do a great job of showcasing the website’s products:
- Personalized Valentine’s Day Gifts for Her – this dedicated page contains links to their best-selling products. A visitor doesn’t need to search and filter all of their products – this guide has already made the selection for them. There is an average amount of text on the page that contains their keywords.
- Valentine’s Day gift ideas for her – this gift guide has more of a blog post feel, where the items are listed with a brief description and that makes a great gift. The “buy” button is clearly placed for each item.
- Unique gifts for Valentine’s Day – this is a category page that links directly to their products and other category pages. It has very little text, but notice how well the headlines are optimized and the amount of relevant links this page points to. It’s a “hub” for all things unique Valentine’s Day gift ideas.
What Happens After V-Day?
So now that you’ve created your dedicated page, promoted it, and Valentine’s Day is over, what should you do until next year?
Most of your content should stay “ timeless, ” but make sure you update the page in advance every year: add your new products, link to new blog posts, and look for other links. to your gift guide.